quote

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.
~Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Missoni quelli delle righe"

If you know me, then you know my other “design” passion… fashion.  One fashion house that I have particular admiration for is Missoni; Tai & Rosita definitely new how to work those zig-zag and flame stitch patterns into beautiful dresses and scarves.  Many of the “abstract” patterns used by Missoni back in the 1950s (and still today) are indeed 100% Italian, as the original flame stitch, known as Bargello, is an intricate embroidery that was discovered in a Florence palace.  In the U.S., the 1960s and 70s were the decades for posh homes, as the same flame stitch and zig-zag designs were being seen on the furniture. 

In 2003 Missoni Home Collection debuted for the very first time at the annual Milan show, Salone Internazionale del Mobile, and it continues to have a presence each year.  As I’m always keeping tabs on the best hotels around the world, I must also mention Rosita Missoni’s great endeavor, finally realizing the Hotel Missoni, branded by Redizor SAS.  The design is Missoni from exterior signage to the plush black and white zig-zag robes hanging in the guestroom baths, while the architect that collaborated was Milan based Matteo Thun.  http://www.hotelmissoni.com/

I’ve been attending the Milan show since moving to Italy and it is always an adventure trying to pack everything in to a single day; in a word, impossible.  Yet, I continue to cover as much ground as possible, being very specific to what I actually stop and look at.  Touch.  Examine.  Admire.  Last April at the 2010 Milan show, along with my web/ graphic designer, Laura Micocci, I was struck in particular by Missoni’s outdoor furniture, specifically the multi-colored roped loungers (which are photographed below).  Colorful simplicity is utterly Missoni.    


And a little taste from the vibrant Women's 2011 Spring Collection and a few pastels from 2010!





1 comment:

  1. UGH!!! so much pattern my eyes hurt- Now I understand the plad tights picture you sent- lol Funny how something so Italian can be so Atlanta....

    ReplyDelete