quote

Where the spirit does not work with the hand there is no art.
~Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

An Ode to Oia


From my first step onto the warn tiled floor I felt as if I had stepped back into Fez-- maybe that's why I was drawn into the kasbah-esque café in Oia.  Tiny, yet bustling with personality from floor to barrel-vaulted ceiling, it was alive with style.  Always drawn to design that unites the old with the new, I was taken aback by the cobwebbed silver candle stick holder, as it felt almost a cliché-- too good to be true. And yet the freshness of the walls, again the Grecian blue, created a justness, while the accents of the sun, or rather sunset, were mimicked in warm yellows/ oranges, framing the portals.  Irregular shaped hand blown glass orbs hung about the space, while the low-backed banquette maintained a welcoming feel as did the white marble café tables hosting the most perfect cold cappuccino.  

 
 








No comments:

Post a Comment